Hi guys! I’m a new blogger, and, as you can see, this is my first post. The topic I have chosen to write about is feminism.
Last summer I read some articles about a group of young American women who have invaded the most used social networks, like Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr, with the hashtag #womenagainstfeminism. They posted their own photos holding a postcard and wrote on it why they don’t need “feminism”.
These are just a few examples, but they’re useful to understand what these women think: they account feminism as a race with men or a fight against them.
I think that they don’t want to feel or to be considered as a Wildlife to be preserved or a victim to be protected. In my opinion, they want to prove they are strong and brave as men; they also think that being a feminist means wearing only trousers and nullifying femininity; for them, being a feminist is like defending women even if they are wrong, just because they hate men.
I totally disagree. Maybe some feminists are like what I’ve just described, but not all of them.
Actually, after the #womenagainstfeminism campaign, lots of people (not only women!) invaded the networks with their own postcards, explaining why they need feminism, with the hashtag #ineedfeminismbecause.
I believe in feminism and I need it because even if all the world talks about equality, social injustices still exist:
- in some parts of the world, for example in China, parents can decide to abort their child or put the child up for adoption on the basis that it’s a girl
- not all the girls in the world have the possibility to go to school. Malala Yousafzai, a 17 years old Pakistani girl, is an example of this injustice: she is an activist for female education, she tackles against Talibans, who ban it and who tried to kill her two years ago. Today, Malala is the youngest Nobel Peace Prize winner ever
- in Saudi Arabia women aren’t allowed to drive a car or ride a bicycle on public roads
- very often women have higher education rates and work more than men in the same profession but they are paid less
- in many countries, parents force their young daughters to marry old men; moreover women haven’t the possibility to get divorced
These are only a few examples of what happens all around the world; in the past feminists worked hard to get equality for both women and men, but there’s still a lot to do until women will be considered as important as men (no more!). Women are definitely different from men, but they should have the same rights, the same possibility, the same freedom everywhere in the world.
Thanks for reading! And share your opinion leaving a comment!
See you soon